Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blizzard to Garden in Two Days

Tuesday morning we woke up to 4 inches of fresh snow. Not exactly what I was hoping for in April. I was grumpy all day, wondering about the people who first came to this part of the country, and decided to stay. What were they thinking? And I have a sturdy shelter to live in, and grocery stores to to buy food from when there is absolutely nothing fresh growing whithn a very large radius-still they decided to stay...hmmm.

By Thursday it was 70 and I was planting peas, carrots, spinach, kale, and radishes. The raspberries are hoed (is that a word??) and mulched, the strawberries are trimmed, and all of the fruit trees pruned. Yay for spring. I even went on my first run of the season Saturday. It was great! It's amazing what two days and some sunshine can do to a person's disposition! I can already taste the first fresh salad and peas of spring. I can only guess that those first settlers came in spring and got so attatched to the area by winter that they just couldn't leave, but spent the whole winter hunkered down, thinking about spring. Who knows what they ate to survive that first winter...still, they stayed.

1 comment:

  1. Yes... they stayed. I always marvel at that, too. Just had a conversation about the same topic with my friend from Alberta, Canada. Utterly preposterous that people stayed there.

    ReplyDelete